Re: screenshots.debian.net

On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 13:08 +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> I think it would be pointless to reach a scenario where people are
> encouraged to submit the same screenshot for all different
> languages. That would be a PITA to maintain and unnecessary in most
> cases.
>
> Still, for different alphabets there might be an added value. AFAICT
> it is possible that an application looks sensibly different when using
> a left-to-right vs a right-to-left language.
>
> Maybe the right solution is support some kind of language tagging to
> be associated to each screenshot.

What about: People can contribute screenshots in whatever language they
want and the screenshot will be language-tagged. A viewer-frontend can
then adopt a behavior like "show all screenshots of my language, and if
none exist, fallback to English". (Or optionally append English ones
even if native-language ones exist, or append all, or whatever strategy
you want..)

I would guess that for most languages you end up with seeing most
screenshots in English, but that's no regression compared to the present
situation.

Martin