Re: conditional dependency?

Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> Hi
>
> I maintain libetpan package, which build-depends on libcurl4-gnutls-dev.
> Resulting library package dependency is calculated using ${shlib:Depends},
> however libdev package dependency on libcurl4-gnutls-dev is manually
> written in debian/control file. The build package dependency is valuable
> since -lcurl is among 'libetpan-config --ldflags' output.
>
> I've got a wishlist report (#467297), where reporter asks to add
> alternative dependency libcurl3-gnutls-dev for better backporting support.
>
> While it is easy for build-dependency (just use libcurl4-gnutls-dev |
> libcurl3-gnutls-dev), I see a problem here with libdev package dependency.
> It should depend not on libcurl4-gnutls-dev | libcurl3-gnutls-dev, but on
> exact one that was actually used when building package.

In general alternative build dependencies are not recomended as we want
to have a predictable build process. The main thing when backporting is
changing build dependencies AFAICS. Normaly the intention is to change
as less as possible between the old version and the backported version's
environment unless necessary for new features AFAICT, so for someone who
is used to backport it should still be straight forward either way AFAICS.

Cheers

Luk