Re: conditional dependency?

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:11:05AM +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:
> >> While it is easy for build-dependency (just use libcurl4-gnutls-dev |
> >> libcurl3-gnutls-dev), I see a problem here with libdev package
> >> dependency. It should depend not on libcurl4-gnutls-dev |
> >> libcurl3-gnutls-dev, but on exact one that was actually used when
> >> building package.

> >> How to handle this properly?

> > Fix libetpan-config on Debian to not return libraries that are only
> > related to static linking, and drop libcurl4-gnutls-dev to a Recommends?

> This looks against how librarieshave been packaged in the past.

Which has been discussed many times on this mailing list.

> In particular, Debian Library Packaging guide [0]

This is not a normative document, and is not governed by the procedures for
Debian policy updates.

> Did something change recently?
> Maybe I missed something?

There is nothing in policy that requires library -dev packages to depend on
all the other libraries needed for static linking.  It happens to be common
practice, but that doesn't mean these couldn't be reduced to Recommends as
long as dynamic linking continues to work correctly.