conditional dependency?

Hi

I maintain libetpan package, which build-depends on libcurl4-gnutls-dev.
Resulting library package dependency is calculated using ${shlib:Depends},
however libdev package dependency on libcurl4-gnutls-dev is manually
written in debian/control file. The build package dependency is valuable
since -lcurl is among 'libetpan-config --ldflags' output.

I've got a wishlist report (#467297), where reporter asks to add
alternative dependency libcurl3-gnutls-dev for better backporting support.

While it is easy for build-dependency (just use libcurl4-gnutls-dev |
libcurl3-gnutls-dev), I see a problem here with libdev package dependency.
It should depend not on libcurl4-gnutls-dev | libcurl3-gnutls-dev, but on
exact one that was actually used when building package.

How to handle this properly?

Nikita