Re: git bikeshedding (Re: triggers in dpkg, and dpkg maintenance)

On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 17:58 +0000, James Westby wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 10:19 -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > "Dirty history" is not only tolerated, but the *only* sane option with,
> > lesse...  rcs cvs svn darcs tla baz (bzr?)
>
> bzr supports both ways of working, either cleaning up, or preserving
> the history as is.
>
> It has rebase support through a plugin, but I don't think it's widely
> used yet.

The bzr community doesn't encourage rebase because of the destructive
effect it has on collaboration - and at least the authors of bzr
consider one of its primary goals being to enable collaboration between
software authors.

So rebase is there for folk that need it, but its not the recommended
solution to the various problems mentioned in this thread.

-Rob