Re: dpkg-buildpackage now reorganizing debian/control Depends field??

"David Paleino" <d.paleino@gmail.com> wrote in message [🔎] 20080222145420.4bb56e63@pingu">news:[🔎] 20080222145420.4bb56e63@pingu...
Il giorno Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:04:52 -0300
Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> ha scritto:

As I said, for APT, the order has meaning _always_.

apt-get install foo bar

Is completely different of

apt-get install bar foo

Could you please elaborate on this? I know for sure that Pre-Depends exists
just for the cases where order _does_ matter. But I've never had problems in
installing packages in any order (or probably I've just been lucky).

David

I'm not sure, but I think the follwing indicates the problem.

Imagine that you have none of {foo, bar, baz, qux} installed.

Foo has "Depends: baz|qux"
and Bar has "Depends: qux|baz"

My understanding is that in that case
apt-get install foo bar
installs {foo, bar, baz} but
apt-get install bar foo
installs {foo, bar, qux}.

This is not always a major problem, and in most cases the end user will not notice it, but under rare cases it is theoetically possible that the dependency chain with conflicts could cause problems. (At least it seems like that might be the case)