dpkg-buildpackage now reorganizing debian/control Depends field??

Hi dpkg maintainers, developers,

(Please follow up only to debian-devel@lists.d.o)

I've just noticed that packages I've built recently have had the list of
Depends reorganized into ASCIIbetical order in the generated binary
.debs.  I guess this was the next logical step after having dpkg-dev
re-order Build-Depends internally (as was discussed in #457151).

In some cases, particularly when the Depends can be satisfied by
different sets of alternatives, this change could have the effect of
changing the packages actually pulled in by apt-get or aptitude.  I will
be happy to post a couple such examples -- one hypothetical, one real --
if requested.  (They are a bit long so I'm not including them in this
email.)

I would like to re-iterate the statement of Colin Tuckley at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-toolchain/2008/01/msg00018.html
to request that in the future, it would be very nice if dpkg maintainers
(and everyone else, of course!) could warn developers in advance when
new features may cause unexpected changes in Debian package behaviors.

best regards,

--
Kevin B. McCarty <kmccarty@gmail.com>
WWW: http://www.starplot.org/