Re: Compiling all packages with debug information?

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:
> Carlos San Esteban <csesteban@pegaso.ls.fi.upm.es> writes:

>> First of all, I think it's a great idea.

>> Well, we have the src packages then we only needs other package '-dbg'.
>> This one only need to change the options and install the libraries
>> needed, It could make all the work to leave the dbg program ready to
>> use, and uninstall it only needs to remove the package '-dbg'.

>> I think that create this package it's not a lot of work for the
>> mantainer and its size will be the smallest XD.

> The packages would take up considerable space in the mirror network,
> which is not unlimited.  It's not about the space consumed on the local
> system.

Oh, your private e-mail helped me understand what you're proposing.
You're saying that we could set it up so that the local user could build
the -dbg packages if they need them.

One difficulty is that in general the debugging symbols from a different
build will not match the libraries in the Debian archive, so the local
user would need to build a whole new set of packages and replace the
packages on their system with them.  Otherwise, yes, that would work,
although we don't really have a good mechanism for Debian packages to
optionally build certain packages from the same source.