Compiling all packages with debug information?

Hello everybody!

[[ I already sent this mail to debian-user - but it didn't seem to get there.
   Thinking about it once again, I'm re-posting to -devel. ]]

As I'm running unstable I sometimes find bugs in applications. Now it would be
very nice if there was some way to get the matching debug information for the
packages, so gdb could print a better backtrace, or eg. show exactly which
line segfaults.

Currently I'd have to recompile the packages myself, and installing them over
the debian files - which is, depending on the package and its prerequisites,
a major hazzle.

How about compiling all programs with debugging information, and strip them
into a "-dbginfo" package, or something likewise for "apt-get source"? Like
the "-dev" packages only people who think they need them would install them,
perhaps in a new repository "dbginfo" (like unstable, or testing).

This would be a good help for determining the location of problems, and would
not cost the debian maintainers much work.

Other/better ideas?

Regards,

Phil

--
Versioning your /etc, /home or even your whole installation?
             Try fsvs (fsvs.tigris.org)!