Re: FTBFS if built twice in a row

On 6/29/07, Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Adeodato Simó wrote:

> * Santiago Vila [Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:58:13 +0200]:
> > I don't know how much typical this example is, but the two "can't build
> > twice in a row" bugs I got were like that.
>
> The you should/could remove the .mo files in your debian/rules clean
> target.

Sure. I did that.

I was trying to explain that a complete "./configure; make; make clean"
cycle is really required to discover these kind of bugs, as opposed to the
"simplified check" that was being proposed.

The "simplified check" that I proposed was to compare the sources
before and after the debuild build / debuild clean process, not just
at the end of it. Just one build is necessary. This could be
implemented in debuild (or somewhere else, someone will know better
than me) and prompt the maintainer like lintian does.

Besides, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think the cases that you're
proposing to break my ideal "clean" status are not usual. Of course,
the timestamps/permissions can be skipped in the check in order to
avoid a lot of packages to fail, but a warning at the end of the build
could indicate to the mantainer that some files are left "uncleaned"
or if some have unexpectedly changed.

In any case, feel free to ignore me if my ideas are completely wrong ^^.

Regards,
Gerard.