FTBFS if built twice in a row

Hi,

I've been looking for FTBFS bugs in the BTS and I've noticed that
there are lots of FTBFS if built twice.

My understanding of debian is far from being complete, but in order to
be built for a second time a clean is performed before (at least,
using debuild). So directory should look like a fresh $ apt-get source
packagename. And the contents of the files should also be the same.
Checking that would be easier than running 2 times the compilation
process and maybe it could be implemented as a checking tool that
debuild could run before finishing the package, like it does with
lintian.

Or maybe I'm missing something, and performing a clean doesn't mean
having a fresh source.

I just wanted to know your thoughts about it, or if I'm completely crazy.

Regards,
Gerard.