Re: Can we require build-arch/indep targets for lenny?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 10:30:55AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to gather up some momentum for a policy change. Namely
> that the build-arch/indep targets in debian/rules become required
> instead of being optional.
>
> The reason for this is that dpkg-buildpackage can't reliable detect
> the existance of the build-arch/indep targets and must call 'build'
> instead. This forces every source to compile both architecture
> specific and architecture independent code on all buildds and
> increases the Build-Depends of packages a lot.

I suggest anyone reread the bug log for #218893 that give a
full account of the problem before commenting.

My preference is for the dpkg maintainers to apply the patch in the
buglog #229357, or at least reply to it.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.