Re: Can we require build-arch/indep targets for lenny?

Bill Allombert <ballombe@master.debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 10:30:55AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to gather up some momentum for a policy change. Namely
>> that the build-arch/indep targets in debian/rules become required
>> instead of being optional.
>>
>> The reason for this is that dpkg-buildpackage can't reliable detect
>> the existance of the build-arch/indep targets and must call 'build'
>> instead. This forces every source to compile both architecture
>> specific and architecture independent code on all buildds and
>> increases the Build-Depends of packages a lot.
>
> I suggest anyone reread the bug log for #218893 that give a
> full account of the problem before commenting.
>
> My preference is for the dpkg maintainers to apply the patch in the
> buglog #229357, or at least reply to it.
>
> Cheers,

Which are both DEAD. Both decided by indecision and silence to not
act.

So do we call the tech committe to force a decision?

As a note I don't think it is the dpkg maintainers choice to make
here. They can veto on the feasibility and on the implementation, the
technical aspect, but I think the debian developers as a whole have
the right to make policy that even dpkg maintainers must follow.

MfG
        Goswin