Re: 0-day bug forwarding and bug patching on ALL bugs

* Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> [070227 20:46]:
> You've read this correctly!  Starting TEN YEARS AGO, we are in
> permanent bug triaging, bug forwarding, but patching party on ALL
> bugs, pick one before it's too late!
>
> You may immediately take any bugs which didn't receive due care and
> forward it upstream and/or send a patch to it and/or request more
> information.

I think there are two problems here:

First problem is that the list misses the most important stuff. It's no
fun to look at bugs when the bug-list is a utter mess. What is needed
is someone
        - retitling the bug-report to properly describe the problem
        - tag bugs to get clear view (when there are many bugs):
                - what has enough information to reproduce it
                - what has not (even more important)
                - what are upstream issues
        - closing fixed bugs
        - closing things that are obviously no bugs
        - reassigning bugs to where the problem is
This is all best done in a coordinated way. But it needs to be done
anyway. Otherwise suggesting "you may forward it upstream and/or send a patch"
is a bad joke.

The other problem is that your sentence contained a "didn't recevice due
care". Many people are a bit reluctant to imply something like that.
What about something like the low-treshold-nmu page for bugs? That may
be both be usefull as a indicator where people wanting to help can help
and as way to allow people also the things from the list above.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link