Re: how to request help for bugs (Re: 0-day bug forwarding and bug patching on ALL bugs)

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 08:51 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:39:54AM +0100, Bart Martens wrote:
> >
> > For a general call/cry for help for packages with many bugs, I would
> > submit an RFH, RFA or O before the number of bugs becomes uncomfortable.
> > Of course, this probably won't work for all packages; it's not always so
> > simple.
> >
> I would think that orphaning would be the wrong way to go.

I didn't say that packages with many bugs should be orphaned. :)
Obviously a package should be orphaned if it is no longer maintained,
and only then.

What I meant to say is that the maintainer him/herself should
voluntarily "submit an RFH, RFA or O before the number of bugs becomes
uncomfortable".

> If the
> maintainer has some, but perhaps not enough, time to work on it and just
> needs help, I think he is more likely to find someone is willing to
> pitch in and help get the package shaped up.

Yes, that's what I meant with RFH, see above.

> Orphaning the package has
> the potential to leave things worse off.

Orphaning an unmaintained package invites new maintainers to adopt the
package.

> Now, if the package has sat
> untouched for a very long time and accumulated many bugs, that may be
> the only option.

Yes, I agree with that.

So I think that we have +/- the same opinion about when a package should
be orphaned.