Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > > Le mardi 27 février 2007 à 09:24 +0100, Eduard Bloch a écrit :
> > > Who is not acknowledging such obvious things?
> >
> > People heavily involved with Debian know such things, bug submitters
> > that aren't involved (yet) most likely don't.
> >
> > -> asking them to either pitch in or be patient seems a completely
> >   sensible thing to do, it decreases frustration, and for some
> > percentage of submitters it will be the last little push they need to
> > start getting involved
>
>   Ooooh you mean telling all the user base we need help and are
> overwhelmed like in [0] or [1] ?
>   [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2006/01/msg00215.html
>   [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2006/01/msg00037.html

Nope:
not every bug submitter reads debian-kde or debian-gtk-gnome, or whatever
list is most current for the package in question (in fact i'd say it's more
likely that most do not).

But let me point out something you seem to have missed (or lost sight of):
people are more likely to help you fix a problem if they are directly
affected by it (cause people tend to scratch their own itches).

-> instead of asking for help on a mailinglist with no direct relation to
   BTS, it would make more sense to ask bug submitters suffering the effect
   of the maintainer not having enough time to do sufficient bug triage for
   either help or patience.

>   We've seen how good it was for us, at least in the KDE team we got
> about ... errr... 0 help offers.

you send a mail for help -> good
you didn't get any help -> bad

but keeping in mind the above, you might want to retarget the request for
help?

>   Could one stop thinking teams packaging large things are as
> uncommunicative as some core teams in debian ?

Nothing in this thread has said that.

The only point this thread makes regarding large packages/package sets is
that "large things get more bugs reported, making it harder to keep up, and
they also tend to suffer from lots of antiquated bugs from the pre-team
erra"

Note that's 2 sepperate problems:
1) timely response to new bugs
2) cleanup of antiquated bugs

In the case of the KDE team it has in fact been pointed out in this threead
that the main problem is 2) and that 1) hasnt't been a problem since the
introduction of bts-link.

Since this whole discussion is about handling problem 1), it would seem that
this discussion isn't pointed at KDE at all ATM, so I'm not sure why you're
feeling attacked (or at you least you give that impression).

So let me make it explicit:
we're not looking to point fingers, we're looking for ways to:
a) adress a recurring problem
b) get a handle on what the size of the problem is
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)