Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:04:47AM +0100, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le mardi 27 février 2007 à 09:24 +0100, Eduard Bloch a écrit :
> > > And how do you help a maintainer that does not admit that he needs
> > > help?

  WTF ?!

> > YES. WE NEED HELP. NOW.
> > We are *all* *COMPLETELY UNDERSTAFFED*.
> > We are drowning in bug reports and are not able to answer all of them,
> > especially old ones dating from the pre-teams era.
> >
> > Who is not acknowledging such obvious things?
>
> People heavily involved with Debian know such things, bug submitters that
> aren't involved (yet) most likely don't.
>
> -> asking them to either pitch in or be patient seems a completely
>   sensible thing to do, it decreases frustration, and for some percentage of
>   submitters it will be the last little push they need to start getting
>   involved

  Ooooh you mean telling all the user base we need help and are
overwhelmed like in [0] or [1] ?

  [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2006/01/msg00215.html
  [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2006/01/msg00037.html

  We've seen how good it was for us, at least in the KDE team we got
about ... errr... 0 help offers.

  Could one stop thinking teams packaging large things are as
uncommunicative as some core teams in debian ? Actually we do speak our
problems out. It's just followed up with a huge silence.

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit