Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 27 février 2007 à 09:24 +0100, Eduard Bloch a écrit :
> > And how do you help a maintainer that does not admit that he needs
> > help?

> Please show me where a current maintainer of Mozilla, KDE, GNOME, the
> glibc, the kernel, X.org or any such big group of packages said he
> didn't need help for them.

So let's rephrase that: how does a bug submitter the maintainer needs help
if that hasn't been communicated in a forum the submitter follows?

> YES. WE NEED HELP. NOW.
> We are *all* *COMPLETELY UNDERSTAFFED*.
> We are drowning in bug reports and are not able to answer all of them,
> especially old ones dating from the pre-teams era.
>
> Who is not acknowledging such obvious things?

People heavily involved with Debian know such things, bug submitters that
aren't involved (yet) most likely don't.

-> asking them to either pitch in or be patient seems a completely
  sensible thing to do, it decreases frustration, and for some percentage of
  submitters it will be the last little push they need to start getting
  involved

And as I noted elsewhere in this thread this only needs you to a) keep track
of which bug reports aren't being handled (presumably you already have
those bugs somewhere low on your todo list, right?) and b) compose 1 mail
to that list of bug repports every couple of weeks or so.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)