Re: GCC 4.1 now the default GCC version for etch

Scripsit Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
> Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:
>> Scripsit Falk Hueffner <falk@debian.org>

>>> Since any sane ABI pads arguments to word size, this is only a problem
>>> on big endian 64-bit architectures (that is, no current release
>>> architecture).

>> Hm, that makes sense. Perhaps I should back out my (clumsy) fixes for
>> it, then.

> No, the bug remains and should be fixed.

The fix should be somehow unclumsified, though. Currently I inject
some horrible runtime testing in the configure script to find out
whether the clib supports the %zu format of C99, but that breaks
crosscompilability (which I'm not sure worked before, but still...)

Would it be safe to assume that a size_t can always be cast losslessly
to an unsigned long (and then printed with %lu), or are there systems
on which only an unsigned long long will do?

--
Henning Makholm             "Jeg forstår mig på at anvende sådanne midler på
                           folks legemer, at jeg kan varme eller afkøle dem,