Re: GCC 4.1 now the default GCC version for etch

On 2006-06-07 Matthias Klose <doko@cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
[...]
> We did pick two compiler warnings and scanned the build logs of one
> archive rebuild on alpha (64bit), where wrong code may be generated.
[...]
>  - cast from pointer to integer of different size
>    cast to pointer from integer of different size

>    These warnings may point to code which is not 64bit clean. They are
>    most likely not seen on 32bit architectures. See the amd64, alpha
>    and ia64 build logs for these architecture specific warnings.
[...]

Hello,
as this was sent in conjunction with gcc 4.1, I wonder whether gcc 4.1
is more strict in this matter, too.

i.e. if a package is currently in the archive, suffers from this
issues and the binary packages *currently* in the archive have been
built with gcc-4.0, should I

a) refrain from making a upload before the
issue is fixed as the packages will break horribly with gcc-4.1,

or
b) simply continue, as the package won't be broken more with gcc-4.1
than it was with gcc-4.0?

thanks, cu andreas

--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute