Re: severities of blocking bugs

Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> writes:

> Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>>> I have always thought that when bug X is blocking bug Y, the severity
>>> of bug X should be at least as big as the severity of bug Y.
>>>
>>> I have recently been told by a maintainer that my logic in this regard
>>> is faulty.  Is it?
>>
>> Depends on how you are going to use the blocking facility, I suppose. I do
>> agree with your reasoning, though:  if Y is critical and cannot be fixed
>> without fixing X, X is also critical.  It doesn't matter at all what
>> priority X would have IF it were not a blocker for Y: at the moment it
>> became a blocker for Y, it became part of the problem causing Y.
>
> Does this mean that I was right to raise the severity of #360851 to
> serious, after bug #357057 was raised to serious?  The maintainer of
> python-defaults told me that I should not have raised it to serious.
> (Though he did not object at all when I raised it to "important" when
> #357057 was raised to important.)
>
> Thomas

You probably hit a soft spot there because suddenly the bug became RC
and blocks the package from entering testing. The destinction between
normal and important is purely visual while serious and above have
real effects.

I also think Henrique ment that you should not (have to) touch the
severity but that the BTS should automaticaly pick the maximum of X
and Y.

MfG
        Goswin