Re: severities of blocking bugs

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
>> I have always thought that when bug X is blocking bug Y, the severity
>> of bug X should be at least as big as the severity of bug Y.
>>
>> I have recently been told by a maintainer that my logic in this regard
>> is faulty.  Is it?
>
> Depends on how you are going to use the blocking facility, I suppose. I do
> agree with your reasoning, though:  if Y is critical and cannot be fixed
> without fixing X, X is also critical.  It doesn't matter at all what
> priority X would have IF it were not a blocker for Y: at the moment it
> became a blocker for Y, it became part of the problem causing Y.

Does this mean that I was right to raise the severity of #360851 to
serious, after bug #357057 was raised to serious?  The maintainer of
python-defaults told me that I should not have raised it to serious.
(Though he did not object at all when I raised it to "important" when
#357057 was raised to important.)

Thomas