removing logfiles on purge

Hi all,

Chapter 10.8 of our policy says that log files "should be" removed
when a package is removed. I am writing this email to gather
feedback prior to proposing that this be changed. Especially in the
EU, I can imaging several situations in which removing the log files
during package purge can put the administrator into an undefined (==
unpleasant) legal situation.

If you've ever administered a production machine with hundreds of
users, you'll treat log files as valuable data. You'll kick and
scream if they get removed from under your fingers.

Why does the policy say that log files should be removed?

What are the reasons against leaving them around?

Thanks for any comments.

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

it is ok to let your mind go blank,
but please turn off the sound.