Re: Does it sometimes happen that people send mails before NMU ?

Hi Mike,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:47:52AM +0100, Mike Hommey wrote:
> There have been 2 NMUs on libxml2 in a week and I never got a message
> beforehand. Now I wonder if that practice has disappeared somehow.

> I admit I've not spent enough time for libxml2 recently, but still, I
> wouldn't have been bothered by some poking beforehand.

> Moreover, I'm not exactly sure the second NMU has indeed removed all
> problematic content but the bug is closed, so the NMUer may be happy.
> Ah, by the way, the bug was not even a problem for package propagation
> to testing, so that doesn't make the propagation an argument for a quick
> upload.

The first bug shows a message from the NMUer apologizing for not sending his
patch beforehand.  The second bug shows a patch sent by the NMUer prior to
the NMU.  Did you not receive these mails?

> Moreover, I'm not exactly sure the second NMU has indeed removed all
> problematic content but the bug is closed, so the NMUer may be happy.
> Ah, by the way, the bug was not even a problem for package propagation
> to testing, so that doesn't make the propagation an argument for a quick
> upload.

Well, no, but the fact that it's a longstanding release-critical bug, with
no maintainer response, means that it does warrant NMUer attention.  If some
non-free files have been missed in the process, that would be bad, but that
doesn't seem to be a reason to not try?  Of course, it's your prerogative as
maintainer to review the contents of the NMU for correctness before
acknowledging the bug closure.