Re: namespace conflict != package Conflict?

On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 11:11:16AM -0600, Sebastian Kuzminsky wrote:
> Adam Majer <adamm@zombino.com> wrote:
> > rename /usr/bin/git to /usr/bin/cogito-git or whatever. It is not that hard.
>
> That's true Adam: renaming a file is not hard...  But in this case it
> has terrible consequences.
>
> Naming it "cogito-git" makes no sense at all.  Cogito uses git, but
> git doesnt know or care about cogito.  That'd be like naming glibc
> "mozilla-glibc", because mozilla uses glibc.

Not really. If your package provides git, it's logical to name
that binary /usr/bin/cogito-git.

> People coming from other systems will correctly percieve this as
> debian-induced breakage.  Users downloading helper scripts and finding
> cookbook recipies on mailing list etc will discover that they are
> incompatible with the rest of the universe.
>
> That seems like too high a price to pay.

You need to convince either git or GNU Interactive Tools
to change its name upstream then. Since git is the newcomer
and its name is already taken (by a GNU project no less!)
perhaps you could start there.

>From my reading of your package description for cogito,
the name GIT (the version control system) doesn't seem to
mean anything in particular. So renaming it would not be a big loss.

Hamish