namespace conflict != package Conflict?

Hi folks, I have a noob question for you.  I maintain the Cogito package
(my first), and it wants to install an executable as /usr/bin/git.  The
GNU Interactive Tools package (git) also wants to install an executable
as /usr/bin/git.  To avoid this conflict I made cogito Conflict with git.

I have been told by Jurij Smakov that this is "seriously wrong", and
I'm asking for help here.  What's the proper way to handle this situation?

The cogito /usr/bin/git is a tiny little helper script hardly worth its
inode, but it's in the upstream package and I dont want to remove it or
rename it.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky