Re: namespace conflict != package Conflict?

On 12-Jun-05, 02:27 (CDT), Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> wrote:

> You need to convince either git or GNU Interactive Tools
> to change its name upstream then. Since git is the newcomer
> and its name is already taken (by a GNU project no less!)
> perhaps you could start there.

The existence of the GNU Interactive Tools was noticed when Linus picked
the name 'git'. The discussion then noted that this previous use of the
name was more-or-less dead upstream, and not widely used.

> >From my reading of your package description for cogito,
> the name GIT (the version control system) doesn't seem to
> mean anything in particular. So renaming it would not be a big loss.

The upstream name isn't going to change. There are probably already
more users of GIT-the-VCS than GIT-the-tools. So if you rename git for
Debian, we are very likely going to to be incompatible.

Just Conflict with the git package. The overlapping user base is likely
to be nil.

Steve
--
Steve Greenland