Re: Dependencies on kernel-image-x.y [was: NPTL support in kernel 2.4 series]

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> This is just insane. What if we removed all dependencies on
> mail-transport-agent, just because the user can install a random MTA by
> himself ? Why not remove all dependencies, while we're at it? The user
> may have built his own versions of all software.

A user who compiles their own MTA can use equivs to produce something
that satisfies the dependency. Do you think people running kernel 2.4
with NPTL patches should add

Provides: kernel-image-2.6

to their package?

In any case, dependencies test whether something is installed, not
whether something is running. The kernel is one of a very small number
of pieces of software that can have multiple versions installed in
parallel, even though only one of them can run. It's entirely reasonable
to special-case it.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org