Re: Dependencies on kernel-image-x.y [was: NPTL support in kernel 2.4 series]

Martin Kittel <debian@martin-kittel.de> wrote:

> I would like to have some clarification on whether it is sensible to
> declare a package dependency on kernel-image-x.y (e.g. kernel-image-2.6,
> _not_ a full kernel version kernel-image-x.y.z)

Your package doesn't depend on Linux 2.6. Your package depends on NPTL.
The only NPTL implementation Debian provides is in Linux 2.6, but users
may have built their own 2.4 kernel with NPTL patches. You should depend
on what you actually require, and if the package management system
doesn't allow you to express that dependency you should document it
instead.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org