Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

Michael Neuffer wrote:

Quoting Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de):
Michael Neuffer <neuffer@neuffer.info> writes:
For the next couple of years (hopefully not more then 10) we will definitely need the biarch AMD64 until all of the applications that people need will have migrated and the 32bit apps that people use will wither.
SuSe and RH are not supporting 32bit amd64 above the very rudimentary
ability to run stuff. So there is a realy big community thats going to
push commercial programs to be 64bit.

OK, lets do a reality check here:
How much more then the ability to run 64bit "stuff" do we need ?
I don't think we really need or want anything else. Any new development
should be 64bit. We just want to make the migration path a smooth and painless as possible. Ideally it should be completely transparent to the _enduser_, but not necessarly for the admin as well. Those who
wield the root should be expected to able to smooth a few rough edges.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no "transition", debianwise that is. People will either run 32-bit because of legacy 32-bit applications that are not available on 64-bit, or they will run 64-bit.

The transition is in hardware to allow people a choice without needing two computers on what type of system they want. We really should have a clean break from 32-bit world with the Amd64 port. This is the only way to force developers, free or otherwise, to make the transition.

- Adam

--
Building your applications one byte at a time
http://www.galacticasoftware.com