Re: When will amd64 be allowed in sid?

Quoting Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de):
> Michael Neuffer <neuffer@neuffer.info> writes:
> > For the next couple of years (hopefully not more then 10) we will
> > definitely need the biarch AMD64 until all of the applications
> > that people need will have migrated and the 32bit apps that people
> > use will wither.
>
> SuSe and RH are not supporting 32bit amd64 above the very rudimentary
> ability to run stuff. So there is a realy big community thats going to
> push commercial programs to be 64bit.

OK, lets do a reality check here:
How much more then the ability to run 64bit "stuff" do we need ?
I don't think we really need or want anything else. Any new development
should be 64bit. We just want to make the migration path a smooth
and painless as possible. Ideally it should be completely transparent
to the _enduser_, but not necessarly for the admin as well. Those who
wield the root should be expected to able to smooth a few rough edges.

Cheers
   Mike