Re: Raising severity of Contains /usr/share/info/dir.gz if rebuilt on current sid"-bugs.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 01:31:03PM +0000, Wookey wrote:
> +++ Adrian Bunk [04-03-18 11:46 +0100]:
> > But the first thing to achieve this would be to fix testing to honor
> > build dependencies...
>
> As the subject has come up I'd just like to add that the Embedded Debian
> sub-project would _really really_ like to see the testing migration rules
> changed to enforce buildability.
>
> The fact that Debian can't build itself at any given time is a real problem
> for emdebian, because that really does need to be (cross) buildable from
> source at all times.
>
> We can deal with this for the time being by maintaining our own emdebian
> tree which does enforce buildability in its migration rules, but this has
> it's own problems (getting out of sync).
>
> I hope that everyone can agree that it should be a goal of Debian's to be
> able to build itself, and that we can move towards making that policy. Can
> someone tell me why we don't already do this - presumably there is some
> reason of expediency?

Not really. It's a change that (IMHO) really needs to be made at the
start of a release cycle rather than at the end, though, so that we have
the proper time to fix everything and don't introduce nasty surprises in
bits of testing migration that we need to happen; and it didn't happen
early in the sarge cycle. Early sarge+1 seems like the right time to
start enforcing this.