Re: Description of tasks

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 12:04:26 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann
> <ij@2004.bluespice.org> said:
>> And you could harm the project when you're loaded with real life
>> work, so you can't do your Debian work as much as you should do.
>
> 	That is certainly true for me. So, you want to replace me now?

I would certainly suggest finding some poor volunteer to take of some
of your load.

Document what you teach him (keep the mails you exchange) and the next
time someone is intrested you can give him those notes.

>>> My point is that I think there should be documents describing the
>>> role positions and their exact extents. Moreover, the keepers of
>>> role positions should be persuaded to extend these job descriptions
>>> with all kinds of resources they have accumulated during their
>>> terms. Such a document must be able to convey the extent of the job
>>> and allow someone with enthusiasm and time to get up to speed in
>>> short time.
>
> 	Au contraire. Look at what happened in release management --
>  people were inducted as journeymen rm's, and learned hands on.  No
>  document is ever likely to be as comprehensive.  Instead of
>  burdening people who do the work with the task of spoon feeding
>  people, let the people interested in the roles put in some effort.

That only works if you have a base team that can spoon fed the new guy
if he gets stuck. If the only person able to answere questions is
already to busy chaos reigns.

>> And not only job/task descriptions! There has to be manuals
>> describing regular problems and how to solve them!
>
> 	Ah yes. And who is tasked with writing them?

The poor volunteer :)

>> Yeah, an accident can happen to everyone. What is the emergency
>> plan, when something like that would happen to some important role
>> persons in Debian?
>
> 	When the previous secretary went missing, I stepped in, read
>  the constitution, and wrote devotee. And coped. This is not rocket
>  science, people. Stop wanting to be spoon fed.

There certainly is a difference between the secretary and some much
more technical job like buildd admin. Writing a doc on how to use
wanna-build or what the wanna-build states mean is much simpler than a
"how to be a secretary" doc. And some portions have been well
documented now for the buildd task.

> 	manoj

MfG
        Goswin