On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 12:29:02AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> > Then please define what a volunteer should fulfill to be suitable. There was
> > already the request for a job description...
> A "job description"? Come on! "Help", that's all you need to do.
> A "job description" is a nice word which stems from the enterprise world
> and which doesn't do much more than helping people find an excuse to a)
> fire other people ("these two people have the exact same job
> description, surely we can fire one of them"), or b) say "no" when asked
> to do some job ("it isn't part of my job, look at the friggin' job
> description!"); It isn't actually helpful in any way, *especially* not
> in a volunteer organization.

A description of the job that needs to be done might help to find people
that are suitable for that job, right?

> > Funny... I have no packages at all and forced to turn away from Debian.
> You weren't forced to do anything. You chose not to follow a directive
> given by a delegate, who then chose to disconnect your machines.
> Although I partially understand your motives for doing what you did,
> it's unfair to say you were "forced" to turn away.

Oh, read the mails of the last 1-2 days... there were enough "that's not the
project you looked for" recommendations to me, i.e. "go away!" messages.
I've not thought of that Troup plot he played on me... and if I followed the
conversation on #d-d right that evening, it's not very clear if he's really
an official delegate, eh? ;)

> > > Anyway, back to the problem at hand.  Without good, capable
> > > volunteers, nothing can be done.  In some cases (e.g. security), help
> > Surely. Willing volunteers are quite often discouraged.
> The facts disagree with you.
> At least a thousand people still volunteer maintaining their packages,
> as Debian Developers. That doesn't sound like "discouraged volunteers"
> to me.

And how many have recently retired or turned away from the project in other
ways? And how many of these "thousand volunteers" are active? I know some
DDs that are clearly stating they've lost interest because Debian evolved in
their eyes in a negative way.

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/