Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:12:22 +0200, Ingo Juergensmann
> <ij@2004.bluespice.org> said:
>
>> People in role positions should IMHO be forced to communicate with
>> *everyone* that address to their role position. If they don't
>> communicate with others, DPL should take action to remove them from
>> their role.
>
> Then Debian is not the project you are looking for.  You
>  can't force people;

The goal is not to "force people" to do anything, but to have functional
people in the positions.  If they don't want to communicate, they should
either quit, or ask for help.  If they won't do either, they need to be
removed.

This is no different from absentee maintainers who won't let go, which are
Debian's biggest QA problem.

Look, there are many things I've volunteered to do in the past for various
organization.  Whenever I realized that I wasn't doing a terribly good job,
I always volunteered to drop it and let anyone who wanted to take over.

This is the necessary attitude if you want a volunteer project to survive.
This attitude appears to be missing from some DDs.

>  all you'll get is people refusing to serve in
>  critical positions that the project needs.

This is untrue.  There will be volunteers for any vacated position.  Maybe
it will take a while.  Most likely, the longer the old person stays in the
position and the more difficult it is to push them out, the harder it will
be to find volunteer replacements, but it will happen.

>  I am pretty sure I would
>  not take up thankless and unremunerative positions in Debian,
>  working harder, above and beyond maintaining my packages,if I were
>  forced to do whatever strikes the projects fancy. That would make an
>  already thankless job that much less rewarding.
>
> A cute way for the project to self destruct.

Leaving people who don't do the work -- which includes communication --
*and* don't let others do it -- in charge of important things indefinitely
is a *much* cuter way for the project to self-destruct, isn't it?  This is
also one of the classic and most common ways for volunteer projects to
collapse.