Re: [RANT] French translation for debconf templates stucked at 90% : analysis

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:
> "My computer" is translated into "mai konpyûta",
> "My documents" into "mai dokyumento"
> There are ways to translate "My" in japanese, and ways to translate
> "documents" as well. IMHO, "mai konpyûta" (especially the "mai" part)
> and "mai dokyumento" don't make any sense for most of the japanese
> people.

They are just labels, which people learn the meaning of in context.
For error messages, this wouldn't be so good, but for this usage, it's fine.

Japanese, especially computer-related Japanese, is rife with this sort
of thing, and I have the impression that many people like it, because it
seems modern and stylish.  Sometimes the `japanese word' and the
`english word in katakana' seem to be used almost interchangeably (at
least it seems pretty arbitrary to me; maybe there's a pattern there
somewhere), e.g., "ブランチ命令" (buranchi meirei) and "分岐命令" (bunki
meirei)...

-Miles
--
`There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.'