Re: Bug in description of menu or bug in lintian: executable-in-usr-lib-menu

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Bill Allombert wrote:

> > BTW, what do you think about the fact that lintian also regards
> >
> >    post{inst,rm}-does-not-call-updatemenus
>
> > as an "Error"?  IMHO it should also be a "Warning" (and yes, I will hide
> > it also by overrides).
>
> [I will assume your executable menu file generate no output when run as
> root, else you must call updatemenus in post{inst,rm}]
The relevant portion says:

   CDDUSER=`whoami`

   # it has to be run only by unprivileged users via update-menus
   test "${CDDUSER}" == "root" && exit 0

> Frankly, I think differently. Calling update-menus in post{inst,rm}
> in your case do no harm,
Well it does not harm, but I would regard it stupid to call a script just
because lintian wants me to do it.  I prefer the lintian.override here.

> and a menu file that create no menu entry when
> run as root is so much a oddball case that I think that deserve a E:.
OK.  If you think so it is fine for me.  I was just asking because you
voted for a change in the other case.

> In fact, even in your case, I would advise you to call update-menus
> since you need to test what happen if the package is installed at the
> same time as another package calling update-menus anyway and that would
> also prevent future mistake.
In how far?  I think the snipped above is clear enough that there
should occure no conflicts with other packages.

Kind regards

          Andreas.