Re: Debian AMD64 Port Ready

Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Martin Schulze (joey@infodrom.org) wrote:
> > It has always been an issue.  Since AMD64 will probably be adopted
> > commercially, there will be third party applications, that will only
> > run on other distributions and not on Debian, which would make the
> > Debian port pretty useless if you want to run only one other third
> > party application which was compiled for another distribution.
>
> Have you actually tried running a 64bit application from another
> distribution on pure64?  Do you have a specific technical reason why it
> wouldn't work?  I don't.  I'd love to hear of any that exist.  32bit

No.  That's just what I remembered from the early days of debian-amd64.
I thought that programs could expect parts of the libraries to be 64 bit
and parts to be 32 bit which won't work, of course, if the 32 bit version
would not be around.

Regards,

	Joey

--
MIME - broken solution for a broken design.  -- Ralf Baechle