Re: Bug in description of menu or bug in lintian: executable-in-usr-lib-menu

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 06:53:19PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Bill Allombert wrote:
>
> OK, so what I have to do is:
>   1. File a bug report against lintian to s/^E:/^W:/.
>   2. Use /usr/share/lintian/override/cdd-common to hide the warning
>      because it is exactly what I intended.
>
> Right?

Yes, if you feel lintian-pedantic.

> BTW, what do you think about the fact that lintian also regards
>
>    post{inst,rm}-does-not-call-updatemenus

> as an "Error"?  IMHO it should also be a "Warning" (and yes, I will hide
> it also by overrides).

[I will assume your executable menu file generate no output when run as
root, else you must call updatemenus in post{inst,rm}]

Frankly, I think differently. Calling update-menus in post{inst,rm}
in your case do no harm, and a menu file that create no menu entry when
run as root is so much a oddball case that I think that deserve a E:.

In fact, even in your case, I would advise you to call update-menus
since you need to test what happen if the package is installed at the
same time as another package calling update-menus anyway and that would
also prevent future mistake.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>