On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:08:25AM -0800, Brian Nelson wrote:

> > * David Weinehall (tao@acc.umu.se) wrote:
> >> A rejection from the DAM must be considered a pretty strong vote of
> >> misconfidence of the AM's job, no?
> >
> > No.  There's alot more to it than what the AM does, as is obvious when
> > you look at the AM templates and then consider what people tend to get
> > rejected by the DAM for.  The AMs do a pretty good job and handle alot
> > of the 'easier' questions for the AM report but the DAM has to look at
> > more than just the report for each applicant.
>
> If an AM is doing nothing more than using the NM templates and
> processing the applicant's answers, then that AM is not doing a good
> job.  An AM should do a thorough background check of the applicant,
> including mailing list activity, BTS usage (both bug response time and
> resolve time), package upload frequency, and relationships with
> developers (particularly sponsors).
>
> There's no reason any of these checks should be the DAM's
> responsibility.  And people wonder why the NM queue tends to be
> processed so slowly...

My point exactly.  I did dabble a little with AM work (however I'm
ashamed to say I became inactive, to the detriment of the two NM's I
processed, who had to wait far longer than necessary), and I tried to
make sure I knew more about the applicants than what the
templates told me to ask for.  For instance I checked out mailing list
activity and BTS usage (I wasn't as thorough as you suggest, so no
checking of response and resolve time.)

I also tried to ask questions that do not really have any right or
wrong answer, just to try to get a feeling of how well they
communicated.  However, since I didn't fulfill my duties as an AM,
I'm probably no good raw model for others...

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //