On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 04:49:07PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Goswin von Brederlow <brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de> [2004-02-20 04:03]:
> > > I'm not sure I understand the question, but there's only one form of
> > > acceptance[*].  Once someone has been approved as a Debian developer
> >
> > If the DAM accepts someone can the NM-committe overrule him?
>
> The reason why a short public AM report for each applicant is posted
> to the -newmaint mailing list (a public list) is so people (NM
> committee members and others) can raise their objections to the
> recommendation of that person (or support it).

A rejection from the DAM must be considered a pretty strong vote of
misconfidence of the AM's job, no?  After all, the AM has guided the
applicant through the entire NM-process and not found any fault with
him, and yet the DAM has.  While the DAM has far more reason to be
paranoid (after all, the DAM is responsible for the access to
Debian systems, and has the weight on his/her shoulders not to let
anyone in that could potentially harm the project), a DAM-rejection
should still make the AM's take a really good look at their own work.

Maybe the problem isn't really with the DAM, but rather our AM's being
far too lenient with letting the applicants get a PASS on each step
in the process?  I don't necessarily say that this is the case, but we
ought to at least consider this explanation too.

Yes, the DAM may seem to be an ignorant, paranoid person, but it's his
bloody job to be paranoid, and honestly, tell me anyone who wouldn't
ignore people asking for (what may at the moment be perceived as)
the millionth time whether they will be accepted soon ("Mom, are we
there yet? Mom, are we there yet? Mom, are we there yet? Mom, are we
there yet? Mom, are we there yet?"...)

Even if every applicant only asks once or twice, it soon becomes quite
a lot of questions, especially if these persons also question the DAM's
authority on public mailinglists.

I'm not saying our DAM is perfect.  Noone is perfect.  But he really
doesn't hate everyone on sight either.  In fact, he seemed a very nice
person when I met him at DebCamp/DebConf in Oslo...

Goswin: James is not out to get you personally.
AJ: non-DD's aren't your enemies...

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //