Hi, Anthony Towns wrote:

> That's because other people don't think that there is a problem.

It's one thing to say that you don't have a problem and therefore whoever
does have a problem should hash it out with the people allegedly causing
it.

However, what you are saying is that you don't see a problem, therefore
there isn't one, and that

>    there's a reason why people make those complaints. I think it's that
> they don't understand how Debian does, can and should work.

Sorry, but I think you're wrong there.

At the moment the buildd system is rather fragile: multiple architectures
have single points of failure both WRT machines and WRT administration.
(I am intentionally not commenting on the third problem here, which is
communication style / personality conflicts between people.)

I do not think that this is an acceptable situation, and past experience
IMHO supports this view.

To reiterate: your assertion that Debian, or -- more precisely --Debian's
buildd setup, does "work" is true in a sense, in that it works -- except
when (not if) it breaks.

Ultimately we need to fix the cause(s?) for these problems instead of
telling people to work around them.

--
Matthias Urlichs