Re: Why Linux, Why Debian

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 08:37:36PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > > And precisely how many network services does it include? Anything that
> > > doesn't listen on a network port can't be a remote root issue.
> > >
> > > (I checked first. Did you?)
> >
> > Well, I was drawing from experience (I've hardened a number of Debian
> > systems).
> >
> > Ok, let me see, in woody:
> >
> > 1) exim listens to all remote ports, is installed as the default MTA and
> > run by inetd
>
> Can't remember any remote root holes in exim.

Then your memory is playing with you. There have been two security
advisories since the woody release on exim; DSA-097 (Uncontrolled
program execution) and DSA-376 (buffer overflow; but at the time of the
DSA, the thing was not believed to be exploitable).

Regardless, as any security expert will tell you: any open port is a
potential breakin, especially if they're not known.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."