Re: 2.6 kernel boot crashing

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 04:20:24PM -0600, Chad Walstrom
wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 02:32:43PM -0700, Thomas E.
> Vaughan wrote:
> >
> > Is it reasonable to request that Herbert Xu, or whoever
> > is in charge of configuring the relevant Debian kernels,
> > turn off the PnPBIOS support until this is fixed
> > upstream.  Should someone (like me) file a bug report?
> > If so, then against which package?
>
> Certainly reasonable.  I'm surprised, frankly, that those
> options were enabled.  Herbert may have a good reason for
> doing so, but I'm not sure what that might be.  You could
> probably file it against the kernel image you installed.
> That way we will know which architectures are giving is
> problems w/that particular kernel option.

I have tried using reportbug against kernel-image-2.6-386,
but reportbug spits back:

----------
Warning: no reportbug configuration found.  Proceeding in novice mode.
Using '"Thomas E. Vaughan" <tevaugha@ball.com>' as your from address.
Detected character set: us-ascii
Please set your locale if this is incorrect.

 Getting status for kernel-image-2.6-386...
 Checking for newer versions at packages.debian.org...
 Will send report to Debian.
 Querying Debian bug tracking system for reports on kernel-image-2.6-386
 There is no record of this package in the bug tracking
 system. Send report directly to maintainer [Y|n|?]?
----------

Now I have actually already followed through on this a
couple of times (once a few weeks ago when I first noticed
the crash and again this morning when I noticed the crash on
the most recent kernel image) and, presumably, mail has gone
off to Herbert Xu, but I have heard nothing back from him.
The reportbug interface has been broken like this for me for
weeks.  I don't know if it's my fault or not.

Nevertheless, I am reluctant to go through this process
again if I can't get a real bug report filed.

Someone, however, needs to track the problem *and* the known
work-around.

Suggestions?

--
Thomas E. Vaughan   (303) 939-6386   Ball Aerospace, Boulder