Re: Debian packages and freedesktop.org (Gnome, KDE, etc) menu entries

Em Fri, 5 Dec 2003 21:55:21 +0800, Cameron Patrick escreveu:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 01:17:08PM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
>
> | Thing is, none of this matters. If upstream support .desktop files,
> | then we just run them through the script that converts them to Debian
> | menu entries while installing. dh_installmenu would be a good place to
> | do this.
> |
> | The extra features should be pretty simple to implement - just more
> | text fields. That way we support the upstream menu entries in
> | everything, not just kde and gnome.
>
> Yeah, whatever.  Just so long as the current mess is resolved one way or
> another, I don't have that strong a preference in favour of one system
> or the other.  Given that extra features should be added to Debian's
> menus anyway, and that no matter what happens there's going to be a need
> to convert between .desktops and Debian menu entries, I can't see why it
> should really matter which format is preferred.

I agree, as far as GNOME and KDE stop using two kinds of menus at the same time.
What about adding {icon[1],i18n,etc} support to Debian Menu, as others said on
this thread? If we can automate .desktop => Debian process, so there's no *big*
reason to use freedesktop.org standard, as the main advantage would become the
fact of being a standard :-).

Also, the program icons in Debian menus is one thing that is annoying me since
I met Debian, as I can't use them in a larger size (aka in my desktop)
beautifully.

        Cheers,
            Felipe Almeida Lessa.

[1] I'm talking about categories, not programs.