Re: [custom] Debian Enterprise - packages

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, John Goerzen wrote:

> First of all.  This is obviously not a Debian projects
I see it clearly as Debian project and can't find the rationale why
you sais that it is _obviousely_ not.
> (since it is not operating within the Debian framework.)
Why.
If I see this right Zenaan is planning the depandencies for the meta packages
he wants to build.  As long as there is no debian-enterprise list created
he has no other chance than using debian-devel to discuss this topics.
It was the same for Debian-Jr, Debian-Med, etc and nobody thought that
this whould not fit into Debian framework.

> I don't see why this then
> necessitates over a dozen threads on debian-devel -- AND why it gets to
> call itself "Debian."  Moreover, I remain unconvinced that there is any
> need to split from the regular Debian framework, especially since it
> seems that all you're doing is removing choices.
... or rather giving suggestions, what might fit well into Enterprise
framework as we did fro children in Debian-Jr.

> (Though I admit I
> killfiled the earlier threads on the topic because they were too
> unwieldy)  Anyway:
Perhaps this is the reason.

> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:45:51PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > * Office Suite - OpenOffice (there's no other near as feature complete)
>
> And OpenOffice is the only one that runs on only two -- yes, two --
> architectures that Debian supports.
Which is a problem for Debian and not for Debian-Enterprise or any other
"Custom Debian Distribution".

> > * Scripting Language - Python (no one will debate this one :)
>
> If you think you can get every large enterprise worldwide to standardize
> on a single scripting language -- much less get even ONE to do that --
> then you will surely be nominated for several nobel prizes.
:)
This is the only part of your mail I do completely agree with.

Kind regards

          Andreas.