Re: Tabs v.s. spaces

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:13:46AM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:00:18AM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > > VIM can do autoindenting for some languages too. Works OK with Perl,
> > > and C, and badly with Tcl (but doesn't everything?).
> > [snip]
> >
> > Generally, I am skeptical of autoindenting tools. I usually do it by hand.
> > (I don't buy the write-first-indent-later coding philosophy.) Also, my
> > indenting style is complex enough to elude tools like 'indent'. I firmly
> > believe in doing something right, right from the start. If something isn't
> > properly indented when first written, it's broken and must be rewritten.
>
> Huh?  Autoindenting happens while you're coding, not later.  That's the
> whole point.
[snip]

Oh, you meant autoindenting as you type... I thought you were referring to
indenting tools. As long as it's unintrusive, I'm OK with that.
Unintrusive as in, not anywhere near the atrociousness of MS Word, for
example.

Being able to learn is a great learning; being able to unlearn is a greater
learning.