Re: Programming first steps.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:49:03AM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
| On 17-Nov-03, 05:15 (CST), Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:
| > I have one grudge against python, though: its mandated indentation looks
| > very ugly and unstructured to me. Kinda reminds me of COBOL (and boy, do
| > I have nightmares of having to write COBOL code at school)
|
| As a long-time C coder, I agreed with you. But after doing a small
| python project, I was surprised at how quickly it became natural. It
| does help to have an editor that ensures you don't mix spaces and tabs.

I believe that tabs aren't a problem with Python so long as they really
do indent to a multiple of 8 spaces.  Editors which interpret tabs
differently are broken^W^W can cause problems when editing Python code
with tabs and spaces mixed though.

Vim, Kate and Emacs all work admirably for editing Python code.

| Steve, who would not object to the removal of character 9 from the ASCII
| set, even without the existence of Python.

:-)

Cameron.