Re: Tabs v.s. spaces

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:56:49PM -0500, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Well, that's a whole 'nother can of worms. I firmly believe that all
> functions longer than one printed page (approx 48 lines or so) are
> inherently broken and must be re-written. Nevertheless, I find 8-space
> indentation too wasteful, 4-space indentation too cumbersome to type, and
> 1-space indentation unreadable. So I stick with 2. But I'm OK with 4 if it
> helps others read the code.

Hear, hear. Yes, 8-space indentation is a matter of pressing the Tab
key, but it's a bit too big.. I've always stuck with two spaces.

Note that if you want to quickly format your code with tab-character
indentation (== 8 spaces), I like astyle -t <file>. Works like a charm.
I've only tried it with C/C++ code so I don't know whether it works for
other kinds of files.

--
Joshua Kwan