Re: Tabs v.s. spaces (was Re: Programming first steps.)

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:08:44PM -0600, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> H. S. Teoh dijo [Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 08:47:27PM -0500]:
> > >
> > >     Uh, care to rewrite that since Python is now on 2.3 and 1.5.2 is
> > >     several years old?
> > [snip]
> >
> > That doesn't negate the fact that I find significant whitespace rather
> > atrocious. I really rather use a language where I'm free to format the
> > code the way I want it, to maximally convey its meaning, rather than to be
> > forced to write it a certain way because some genius decided that
> > whitespace should be significant.
>
> I think you should really take a look at the Whitespace programming
> language [1], it will make you love Python.

Oh, right.

"I hate foo, because it does bar"
"Hey, there's also baz, which does a hell of a lot more of bar,
therefore foo must be great"

Giving an example of something which is worse than the original doesn't
mean the original suddenly is less of a headache.

Fact is, Python uses the concept of significant whitespace, which a lot
of us simply don't like. That's a personal opinion, and in most cases
probably not a rational thing, so providing arguments won't help. Can we
cut this thread here, please? (yeah, I know I started it)

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."